What is a Brand Identity Prism, and what are best practices, tools and templates for teams and organizations?
Definition of Brand Identity Prism
The Brand Identity Prism, developed by Jean-Noel Kapferer, is a framework for defining a company’s brand identity that includes six elements: physique, personality, culture, relationship, reflection, and self-image. Expressing the brand consistently across all six elements creates brand coherence, which strengthens the connection between the brand and the consumer.
Description of Brand Identity Prism
Studying each element of the Brand Identity Prism allows you to build a brand intentionally and systematically so that it accurately reflects the company’s image that you want to convey. Each element can be generally defined as follows:
- Physique: These are the fundamental physical and tangible aspects that differentiate your company’s products, such as their functional characteristics, colors, logo, and packaging. Being able to quickly identify a brand based on these elements is a good sign that it has a strong identity.
- Personality: A brand is personified through marketing materials and communications. The quality and feel of those communications reflect the type of personality consumers will come to associate with the brand.
- Culture: Tying the brand to a specific culture or geography, whether it is national or local, can help encourage loyalty and pride in the brand.
- Relationship: Fostering a connection between the brand and the consumer such that the consumer feels a relationship, or has an experience with the brand that is meaningful beyond the transaction alone, also creates ongoing brand loyalty.
- Reflection: The brand should reflect the profile of the target demographic so that consumers feel a natural fit between their lifestyle and the company’s image.
- Self-image: Associating with a brand through the purchasing of its products can reinforce one’s desired self-image as well as convey how one wants to be perceived by others.
Tools & Templates
The Brand Identity Prism is a specific tool that maps the six components into categories associated with the marketer (physique and personality), the consumer (reflection and self-image), and the internal and external experiences of the brand (relationship and culture).
upBOARD's Online Brand Identity Prism Tools & Templates
Unlike most traditional Brand Identity Prism models, upBOARD’s online Brand Identity Prism collaboration tools allow any team or organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Our digital platform goes far beyond other software tools by including progress dashboards, data integration from existing documents or other SaaS software, elegant intuitive designs, and full access on any desktop or mobile device.
Learn more about upBOARD’s portfolio of other marketing best practice tools and templates, including:
7 Cs Compass Model, AIDA Marketing Model, BCG Matrix, Brand Identity Prism, Brand Pyramid, Closed Loop Customer Feedback, Content Marketing, Content Marketing Metrics, Customer Experience Maturity Model, Customer Relationship Management, Customer Journey Mapping, Digital Marketing, Environmental Scanning, Ethnographic Research, Four Ps, Market Sizing, Net Promoter Score, Personas, Positioning, Segmentation, STP Model, Trend Mapping, and Value Propositions.