PMBOK Project Management Interactive App
The PMBOK Project Management model is a set of accepted industry standards used by companies to manage projects which is documented in the Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), and uses 5 steps to successfully manage a project, specifically: initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing.
Description of PMBOK Project Management
The PMBOK Guide is compiled by the Project Management Institute, and is comprised of 5 Project Management Process Groups, known together as the IPECC, and 10 Project Management Knowledge Areas.
The IPECC consists of:
- Initiating Group: Includes the beginning stages of a project, and oversees processes such as development of the project charter, naming relevant stakeholders, and controlling stakeholder involvement.
- Planning Group: This group contains the planning stages, including organization of the project plan, budget development, Work Breakdown Structure creation and determining the scope of the project.
- Executing Group: Includes all processes related to executing the project plan, such as controlling the communications, procuring resources, and management of the project team.
- Controlling Group: This group of processes tracks and oversees progress on the project, including those that control scope, cost, and quality.
- Closing Group: Everything required to complete a project, such as closing each phase of the project or procuring supplies needed for closure.
The 10 Project Management Knowledge Areas Include:
- Project Communications: Processes that relay relevant information to team members and external stakeholders, ensuring consistent exchange of information and that the information is understood by all parties.
- Project Cost: Processes regarding budgets, funding, and spending allotments. Cost management is also dependent upon activity estimates from time management.
- Project Human Resources: Processes involving managing the project team, such as sourcing employees, hiring qualified people, assigning their roles, as well as professional development and advancing team spirit along the way.
- Project Integration: Processes related to overseeing and coordinating all the other processes and project management responsibilities.
- Project Procurement: Processes for planning, budgeting, and purchasing any kind of resource needed in order to complete work.
- Project Quality: Processes that determine the success of a project or criteria needed to determine whether the project is complete. These processes are in effect at every stage of the project.
- Project Risk: Processes involved with preparing for and managing risk.
- Project Scope: Processes managing the scope and guidelines of a project.
These processes ensure that the project’s boundaries are well-defined and that all requirements remain within the scope limits.
- Project Stakeholder: Processes involved with identifying who will be affected by the project and ensuring that a positive relationship is maintained. This includes collaboration efforts on the direction and execution of the project.
- Project Time: Processes needed to ensure the project is completed on schedule.
Praxie's Online PMBOK Project Management Tools & Templates
Various Project Management methods, Risk Assessments and Process Maps can all be used to provide insights, data and additional support when using the PMBOK Project Management method. Get started with our PMBOK Project Management template.
How to use it:
- List your projects and the respective leads.
- Complete the requested information and make notes, if needed.
- Regularly update your template and create an action plan for implementation.
Unlike most traditional PMBOK Project Management techniques, Praxie’s online PMBOK Project Management tools allow any team or organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Our digital platform goes far beyond other software tools by including progress dashboards, data integration from existing documents or other SaaS software, elegant intuitive designs, and full access on any desktop or mobile device.