Go beyond static file templates! We’ve digitized every best practice across all business functions into AI-powered interactive workflows. Schedule a demo to learn more about how we can help you drive digital transformation for your team and organization.
A Critical Path Chart is a project management tool that can be used with any project containing interdependent tasks, actions, or activities.
Description of Critical Path Chart
A Critical Path Chart is a tool used in project management which constructs a model and includes the following:
- A list of all activities required to complete a specific project
- The time it will take to complete each activity
- The dependencies between the activities, such as whether one task has to be completed before another one is started, or whether they can be worked on simultaneously
- Logical end-points such as milestones or deliverables at critical points along the way to project completion
Using this information, a Critical Path Chart calculates the earliest and latest that each individual activity can be completed without making the project longer and causing delays. The chart also determines which tasks are critical to the timing of the project, and which ones can be delayed or “floated” without adding time to overall project completion.
Praxie's Online Critical Path Chart Tools & Templates
Critical Path Chart Project Management is a step-by-step project management process in which the project is split into the most critical, smaller tasks that progress from idea generation to project completion. This method helps determine which tasks are critical (zero slack time) and which tasks can be delayed (and for how long). This is an important tool for project managers to prevent time-frame problems and project bottlenecks.
Specific tools typically used in creating Critical Path Charts are typically spreadsheets of estimated times to complete tasks. The list of tasks for the project are often put into a chart format for a visual effect. Get started with our Critical Path Chart Project Management template.
How to use it:
- Complete your project’s basic information.
- List your project’s tasks and the times requested to establish a timeline.
- Review the projected timeline and make updates for more accurate results.
Praxie’s online Critical Path Chart collaboration tools allow any team or organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Our digital platform goes far beyond other software tools by including progress dashboards, data integration from existing documents or other SaaS software, elegant intuitive designs, and full access on any desktop or mobile device.