Go beyond static file templates! We’ve digitized every best practice across all business functions into AI-powered interactive workflows. Schedule a demo to learn more about how we can help you drive digital transformation for your team and organization.
The Beckhard & Harris Change Process is a five step approach that assists organizations in identifying and implementing change. These five steps include internal organizational analysis, identifying the necessity of change, conducting a gap analysis, action planning, and managing the transition. This purpose of this process is to clearly delineate the steps needed to accomplish successful change.
Description of Beckhard & Harris Change Process
The Beckhard & Harris Change Process involves the following five sequential steps:
- Internal Organizational Analysis – the first step of this process is to determine the overall attitude toward change in the organization. More specifically, change makers must identify those employees who might be resistant to change. In addition, change makers must identify any external forces that might impede the change process.
- Identifying the need for change – in order to create the impetus for change to occur, key change agents must all agree that the change is necessary for the success and longevity of the organization. This requires that change agents be able to articulate where they want the organization to go and why, the reasons implementing the change would help bring the organization closer to the desired state and the disadvantages associated with lack of change.
- Conducting a gap analysis – before any change can actually be implemented, change makers must first determine what discrepancies exist between where the organization is currently and where the organization should be. Identifying these deviations is important for being able to articulate the vision for the organization’s future.
- Action planning stage – in this stage of the process, the plan for change is implemented. More specifically, change makers must pinpoint the key players in the change process (i.e., who will be implementing the changes and who will be most affected by the changes). For those who will be executing the change, the responsibilities of each change maker are identified.
Managing the Transition – once the change has been carried out, change makers are also responsible for continuously monitoring the progress of change and making adjustments as they see fit.
Praxie's Online Beckhard & Harris Change Process Tools & Templates
Praxie’s online Beckhard & Harris Change Process collaboration tools allow any team or organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Get started with our Beckhard & Harris Change Process template.
How to use it:
- Review the model and its elements.
- List responses specific to your project or organization for each element of the change process.
- Create an action plan based on your Beckhard & Harris Change Process assessment.